Head of Data Engineering
At Edmodo, I am honored to work directly with a group of excellent people (engineering, product, data, marketing, support), where I enjoy building platforms, developing products, hacking growth, and mentoring engineers and analysts.
1) Product, User Acquisition and Engagement:
- Initiated and led "data to action" project and built a systems (Datacow) that consumes massive data and triggers actions such as email. The system has been widely used in Edmodo, from user onboarding and content digests, to user reactivation and marketing. Datacow has been reached out to 80+ million users and contributed greatly to the growth of active users. Datacow is the central engine to trigger all the non-transactional emails and push notifications.
- Initiated and led the development of Edmodo's social recommendation system (PYMK), to increase user acquisition and engagement: a) user acquisition: recommend users to invite people from their contacts list, and b) user engagement: recommend users to connect with peers on Edmodo. Tests show that PYMK achieved the highest user acquisition rate among all our viral invite loop.
2) Data Platform:
- Completed redesigned the entire data platform, including architected and led the development of data pipeline workflow management system, ETL process, and hybrid data stores. The new data platform (Redmodo), eases and expedites the consumption of 70 million user data for internal use (eg, Datacow) and for various product (eg, PYMK), while significantly increased the reliability and reduced the maintenance cost. Prior to Redmodo, data engineers performed adhoc fix literally daily. Now most maintenance tasks can be performed by data analysts and DevOps).
3) Email, Push Notification and SMS Platform:
- Enhanced the platform to handle recipients and contents preparation and delivery with personalized user experience for millions of users on regular basis (tens of millions of deliveries per day).